I take steps two at a time
I don’t do long lines
Always reading ahead of class
Never finish things last–
But I am taking a step back
So you can think
So you can take
While I wait, here’s a
List of things I want to
Say to you:
1. On Monday, I go to book club. We talk
About movies and writing styles; it’s like AA:
If I skip one meeting, I’ll skip them all.
2. I dropped my bio major, and no,
I am not telling my parents.
3. Outside my window, a man
Was screaming like he was being mauled.
Or maybe that’s the EMT in me.
(He wasn’t actually being mauled.)
4. My desk has an eight-legged tenant.
5. I’m going to Monte Carlo–
A casino-themed dance here–
And I imagined what you’d look like
In a tie. It was difficult to visualize.
6. Acids and bases are frustrating.
7. Girls keep peeing in the showers
The bathroom smells like the Laurel’s.
8. I’m in a group chat with 2/5 of my siblings.
I think you’d like them.
9. Listening to Lennon Stella’s “Fortress” is a power move.
If you only knew what that meant.
10. Snow day = writing day.
11. If I keep this list going,
I won’t be as tempted to message you.
12. See your phone.